Both FUT and FUE have their place in hair transplantation. In terms of results, they both are equal. They only differ in terms of the donor area and the following points.
|Heals with a single linear scar 1-2mm wide||Heals with multiple small dots; invisible|
|Healing takes 10 days||Healing takes 2 days|
|Suture is used||No Sutures|
|Donor area not trimmed, suture hidden||Donor area hair is trimmed|
|Larger sessions easier||Larger sessions tougher|
|Slightly cheaper||Slightly more expensive|
|Possible in weak hairs||Difficult in weak hairs|
Things to note:
- In some rare cases when the scalp is very thick or the hairs are fragile, FUE may not be possible and FUT might be inevitable.
- In very large cases, a combination of both methods might be needed to obtain the necessary number of grafts.
- FUT can be repeated very easily. Doing FUT in the first setting leaves another FUT or FUE in the next sitting. With FUE, taking more than 3000 grafts at the same time is risky and the second sitting of FUE may not be possible.
The decision is best made by answering the following questions:
- Do you have the budget for FUE? If not, go for FUT.
- Are you bothered by a linear scar? If yes, go for FUE.
- Do you want it to be painless? If yes, go for FUE.
- Do you need a large session with more than 2500 grafts? If yes, go for FUT.
- Are you thinking of a second session after? If yes, go for FUT now, and FUE later.
How to do Large sessions of 4500-5000 grafts?
Option 1: Session 1: FUT 3000 grafts, followed by 2nd session of FUT after 6 months.
Option 2: FUE, 1 session of 2500 grafts from the scalp, and 1500 from the beard.
Option 3: FUE, 1500 grafts in the morning, followed by FUT 3500 in the afternoon.
How to do larger sessions over 5000-6000 grafts?
Option 1: Two sessions of FUT as above for 5000 grafts, followed by FUE 1500 grafts from the scalp, total 7500 grafts over 6 months.
Option 2: Two FUE sessions total about 4000 grafts, 1500 beard grafts and body hair of 2000 grafts.
Option 3: FUT 3000 grafts plus FUE scalp 2000 grafts plus 1500 beard grafts plus if necessary, body grafts.
Note: FUE sessions are more expensive than FUT
About The Doctor
Dr. Venkataram Mysore was one of the first surgeons to learn this technique in the country. He is an expert in FUT and is one of the most respected Hair Transplant experts in the world. He has edited the first Indian textbook on the subject and is the first and only Indian Dermatologist to be made a fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons.